This Pousada in 1942 was the first one to be opened and is located in a border town on the main road from Lisbon to Madrid in the Alentejo. It immediately enjoyed practical popularity. Its architectural appearance is an example of what was then considered a modern style blended with Alentejo tradition. The restaurant is renowned for its cuisine which offers a fine selection of traditional Alentejo dishes. The town of Elvas has suffered a bitter history being regularly a place of battle during the various wars between the Portuguese aided by the English and the Spanish aided by the French. There are twenty five rooms with a restaurant and a bar. For the convenience of its guests there is a tennis court and a swimming pool.
The Pousada is approximately 209 kms from Lisbon Airport.